Sunday, February 24, 2013

Working on The Choir video, some notes

Had problems syncing up the three main clips inside the multi clip window.

I think the glitch was due to some kind of audio track shift, the sound didn't shift but the track looked longer on the timeline.

It could have been due to a glitch in the digitizing of the clip into the bin. In any event, this is more of a diary note than an update for others.

It's a little more challenging and time consuming to edit this than I thought it would be, One of the things however that is clear is wow, I'm a big Choir fan and this looks and sounds a lot better than I thought it would have from my memory of the video taping. I had some technical problems during the Choir taping for example at one time I was shooting and my autofocus on the Sony HD camera went out of focus and didn't go back into focus for 30 seconds. It seemed like forever at the time and I was very fatigued of course so I thought, it was an example of many video problems I'd encounter during the edit.

Having more camera angles gives the editor the ability to get rid of mistakes like that auto focus issue. Now that I'm editing and seeing the first three camera angles start to fit together, it doesn't seem that there are to Manu problems with the video. This doesn't mean I didn't have a lot of problems with the taping that I would not have wished to correct with better planning and having the luxury of hindsight to correct. One of the problems is the dreaded wind noise that the microphones picked up near the end of the concert. I didn't remember to rig up wind screens and didn't have them for the main audio recorder so some of the songs near the end have some wind noise during parts of the songs.

Well that's about it for the comment on editing. I know that practically nobody reads this anyways, so it's more like a diary for me to look back on in the future if I even choose to do that.

I can say that with bands like these and the editing process, I often get mesmerized by the performance of these bands and end up watching to much of the performance during the editing process, rather than editing the thing and moving on. A part of this process is just watching the footage and saying to yourself, what cut would look better and should I make a trim a little earlier or cut to the camera later. It can be interesting to watch, but sometimes I spend a little to much time watching intermediate edits, istead of moving on and getting that next camera angle into the program.

With this video I'm going to have more intermediate cuts, because I'd didn't get a four camera angle cut with six or seven clips into one multi clip time line. Having more intermediate programs with less camera angles earlier in the process will make the edit process a little longer than it should have been.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Finally starting on editing the nest video from Cstone 2012, some issues.

Decided to start to edit a band I was going to wait a while on, The Choir.

I was going to do some more smaller set bands with less editing requirements because their set was shorter, but decided to try to get The Choir done.

Imported the audio and video clips, and started synching the audio with the recording I made.

Ran into a problem or glitch which I didn't notice or perhaps worked around somewhat differently.

I looks like the audio and video are drifting out on sync for this footage, meaning the audio on the video tracks and video on those match, but my master audio track was not transcoded correctly into the 48kilohertz sample rate correctly. Normally Media 100 will import the sampled audio and transcode it to the sample rate you select. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I left the audio recorder at 44.1k sample rate while recording all the bands.

From time to time the sync would seem to go out of drift but was corrected with the other projects, I was able to correct that, but in this case, it doesn't look like it's something easy to correct. I wondered if I could mix sample rates and just import the file as a 44.1k rate and drop it on the timeline to compare it, but that doesn't work. All audio sample rates must match in the media 100 timeline, it's probably because the playback module has less effort in playing back one sample rate for all audio channels. Imagine the horsepower requirements to play and transcode everything to some common rate for playback in realtime.

To see if I can get a different length at the 48k rate, I imported the 44.1k audio at 44.1k and exported that audio as a 48k export, to be reimported into Media 100. If the transcoding is doing some kind of straight move from one bit by bit audio sample and just repacking the bits without doing a time calculation, kind of like an audio fit to fill, then the transcoded long sections will actually play back at a different rate. Which means the audio would drift out of sync.

I can do a playback and resample into another recorder using an analog mixing method to get rid of that problem if it becomes a problem.

I'm wondering if under default processing I've been getting this error and somehow my editing, with perhaps more cutting and moving around of smaller video clips masked that problem.

In any event, this is more of a diary update for future reference than a report of much progress. It's time to start editing again, been to busy with astronomy and various health issues around the house since the holidays.

I can say it was really run to watch some of The Choir again and relive the Cornerstone 2012 experience, without the 100 degree heat.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad